PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet training costs: At which point do the politicians say "enough is enough"?
Old 13th Oct 2016, 18:25
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this for the Virgin MPL?
Nah, it's Easy, £109k for an MPL or £123,800 for an fATPL. Madness. The interesting thing is if you look at the AAIB database they have had a few human-factors incidents, often take-off related, no proof that the smaller talent pool they have is responsible for this though.

The Virgin Atlantic programme may be expensive, wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of the potential candidates for that went for another Virgin (well, 90% Stagecoach) programme which is an absolute peach.

I did have a few interviews lined up for the Merchant Navy (even had an ENG1) though ended up going into the City. They do offer some seriously good programmes mind you, the operator get some tax relief in exchange for training UK officers.

As for the politicians, I think if the cat got out the bag to the general public about how training is often financed, they would need to be seen to act. Quite what they'd do, I don't know. Additionally, cadet programme prices seem to be rising more quickly than house prices, especially in the North. You'd need circa. £200k of house equity to fund the training for one cadet these days, given the maximum loan to value ratio of 60%.

I do think the more affordable cadet programmes are the way for applicants to go, with Shamrock being #1 at the moment.

Sometimes I just wish ASLEF would grow wings...