PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New medical rules for NPPL/PPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2016, 12:50
Lodems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change to NPPL medical rules

When I kicked off this thread a month or so ago I had a feeling I would be one of the first to be caught by the new self-certification'guidance' notes. I'm now the grateful holder of a LAPL medical certificate, so a couple of points on my experience of getting it might help some of you fellow unfortunates.
If you've had surgery a long time ago (20 years for me) you may find you have to provide proof of tests carried out directly after the operation. I had to organise a new private echocardiogram (£221) because neither my GP nor the hospital had copies that old. Secondly the CAA computer has a very long memory. In my case in 1995 it designated me as 'long term unfit with no prospect of improvement' and put up a large "computer says NO" warning so that any AME trying to enter new medical details was locked out. My subsequent very successful surgery was not registered there because I didn't feel it necessary to tell them, as I had no intention of flying commercially again. The NPPL GP certification procedure some years later got me back into powered flight but by then the CAA had lost interest in me (but not so their computer...)
Fortunately my AME finally found a human(?) to speak to and I was re-designated 'temporarily unfit' so that I could then be re-classified as 'fit'.
I would advise anyone who is going to try to enter this minefield that they allow plenty of time to tick all the boxes. Best of luck! Off now to apply for a LAPL.

Last edited by Lodems; 13th Oct 2016 at 12:51. Reason: typo