PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Vanuatu Twin Otter elevator cable snap
Old 13th Oct 2016, 12:00
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying on the trim: I'm sure it would take quite a bit of trial & error and experimentation before I'd make an approach. Is the elevator frozen or is it floating? Which way does the a/c pitch with what trim input? How much trim input = how much change in attitude? What happens with power changes and can the trim control counteract pitch changes caused by power changes? There would be many variables to ascertain and gain confidence with before going near finals. Remember, you still might not know what will happen if you decide to GA. That would also be a manoeuvre to practice at height; and we haven't even discussed pitch changes with flaps yet.
Not quite so easy as first imagined. With a trimming stabiliser, à la B737, some what easier than an elevator & trim tab.

A slight drift about different ways to achieve the same using trim tabs. I was taxying out behind an old DC-9/MD-80 family. The high level stabiliser had elevators, but one was up & one was down. I was totally confused and asked, via ATC, to alert the crew. The reply was "eet's a normal" in accented italian english. Later, in discussion with a type rated pilot he explained, if I can remember correctly, the elevators were floating and pitch control was via the training edge tabs. With airspeed the elevators streamlined and all was good. So I wonder what would have happened if those elevators became stuck. Back to my PPL books about balance tabs & anti-balance tabs etc. etc.