PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyViking
Thread: FlyViking
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2016, 09:30
OfficePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some rumors;

- "self-sponsored" typerating. Now, considering the Dash 8 typerating costs about the same as a 737 or 320 rating, I don't see why somebody would regard that a "good" investment. Sure you might get some hours turboprop and then apply for, ie Norwegian, but then you have to buy another typerating.

- Monthly pay; F/O 26.000 NOK (approx 3.000 EUR). Don't know about insurance or pension. Most likely minimum allowed by law. (BTW; in many cases, if you are Norwegian, you'll get more money from the government if you stay at home receiving welfare-checks.)

Captains; don't know. But I'd guesstimate it to be somewhere in the 65-80.000 NOK range, to compete with jetTime, Cimber etc., and considering the living costs in Norway. Might even be higher since there's not a lot of candidates with Dash 8 experience available.

- Roster; Most likely variable, and approx 8 days off pr month.

- Base; Probably Tromso (TOS), to start with.

If you are new to this "lovely" game, another thing to consider;
If you at any stage plan to get a job at Wideroe though, I would think very, VERY hard about other options before joining FlyViking. When you consider the main goal of the CEO and founder of FlyViking, is to "crush" Wideroe (as he has explained through the media), I don't think Wideroe would hire any FlyViking pilots. Understandably so, in my opinion.

I'm glad I'm not on this hamsterwheel anymore... But, good luck... You'll need it. Especially on adventures like these.