PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 Camera
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2016, 03:20
ThereISlifeafterQF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIRB / VIRB Elite

I bought a basic VIRB when they first came out, and was fairly impressed with the picture and video quality that I then bought the VIRB Elite (I then had the Elite as the "master" on the front of my bike, and the basic VIRB facing rearwards). Both worked well for about 12 months, then I started having problems turning them on / off.

In the end both of them failed in the same fashion - they would just turn on, cycle through the start-up sequence, then turn off..... and then repeat ! No matter how many times I did the hard-reset, remove battery, factory reset, firmware check, etc., nothing made any difference.... I got onto Garmin about it, and they basically told me that it sounded like the units had "failed internally", and couldn't do anything for me.

Based on that, I'm a bit wary of giving the Ultra a go in case they end up being the same, and given that I even went out and bought the dive case for the earlier VIRB (no good for anything now !) all I am left with is some rather expensive paperweights. Having said that - I bought spare batteries, and the external charger - which will suit the Ultra.

Oh, and the replaceable batteries was the main reason I went for the VIRB in the first place - I didn't like the idea of a finite life battery in something like the GoPro......

TILAQ