PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2016, 18:55
MPN11

Received 142 Likes on 65 Posts
Reminds me of the session we did at Sywell when ETPS tried out the Twin Pin during the mid 90's, then with Air Atlantique. I swear we landed and took off from the helipad!
Fond memory of the Single Pioneers, operating as C Flt of 20 Sqn at Tengah in the late 60s [ex-209 Sqn, disbanded] and used for FAC work for the Hunters over Malaya. "The last fighter squadron in the RAF operating single-piston aircraft "

I had the 'pleasure' of a few trips with them ... an awesome experience, with their STOL capability and ultra low level flying. I vividly remember the back seat getting dark as the flaps came down!

As a Tengah ATCO, I used to have to fit them in with radar and visual circuit patterns with Lightnings, Mirages, Hunters and Canberras. "Orbit the Officers Mess at 300 feet, left hand pattern, I'll call you back" I once had one, in a hefty crosswind, which I cleared to land across the runway by the 36 threshold, who then taxied straight ahead into F Dispersal where they lived.

Fg Off Pete Squire [later ACM Sir Peter, etc etc] was one of the early converts to the Single Pin on 20 Sqn. Having done a year or so as an Operational pilot on Hunter 9s*, he was moved to C Flt, and became one of the Sqn's airborne FACs. I have a photo of him receiving his "Op Pot" for the S-Pin in the 'dispersal' on the jungle strip at Gemas in up-country Malaya.

Anyway ... all too modern. Sorry.

* and, while I was the Local Controller, ejected over Tengah Village. His 'chute deployed just as I lost sight of him in the tree-tops.