PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2016, 18:00
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Perhaps Guy Fawkes Day would have been more appropriate.

I and another American flew the 212 on contract during the Clean Up of that disaster when the US Military with the odd (operative word) British Military arrived to assist.

Both of us had prior experience being around those kinds of things so we were a bit immune from worries about the associated risks and on more than a couple of occasions landed right in amongst the area that was thickly littered with the assorted inventory of things that should have gone "Bang" or "Boom" but instead had just gone "Thud".

Later on there was a series of Controlled Detonations way out west of Lagos which we had to attend with a Trauma Surgeon and some Medical personnel in the event of a casualty of some kind. Seemed a bit odd as a Sanitary Crew with a broom, shovel, and trash bin might have been of more use had there been a mishap.

One fine morning...while parked in the safe zone two miles from the Detonation Zone we monitored the Radio Net and heard the standard warning of "Fire in the Hole....Fire in the Hole...." and observed the detonation of a rather large pile of things that did go "BANG!" and after a bit heard the Thunder Clap and felt the ground shake. While commenting that sounded a a bit different than previous blasts....we observed some smoking comet trails heading skywards and arcing over in our direction.

Being very cool, calm, and collected....I wryly commented....nice try....but you can't scare me with that stuff....I have been much closer to such things as I am an old Hand at this kind of stuff.

About that time...less than a hundred yards away...several rather significant items of about 155mm Howitzer Shell size impacted at the other end of the football pitch and started several small grass fires.

I amended my statement to "Well on second thought....perhaps you can!".