PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can TCAS be a nuisance on the ground???
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2001, 22:21
Mister Geezer

Question Can TCAS be a nuisance on the ground???

Can anyone help me out with this one???

Right here is the story.....

I was flying a Cessna 152 from a certain Scottish Regional airport earlier on today and with pre-take off checks done and clearance received I was waiting at the holding point awaiting line up clearance from ATC. I was waiting at a holding point which was about 300 meters along the runway from the threshold since it was going to be a departure from an intersection.

Anyway.. while waiting for a Midland Commuter EMB-145 to line up at the threshold and depart one of the guys on the EMB-145 asked ATC if there were any aircraft overhead the field. He asked just while they had lined up and were waiting for T/O clearance. The question appeared to me as quite an odd one since it was a good VMC day and you would be able to see if there was any traffic.

However while I was waiting at the holding point I had my Transponder on. Since that particular Transponder does not transmit ALT info, then it twigged!! Could the Midland guys in their EMB-145 have seen an aircraft with no alt info on their TCAS, which 'appeared to be over head the field'???? Question is if they had could it be me at the holding point, that they were looking at on their TCAS display?????

I am just assuming that it is TCAS because it is an odd question to ask when lining up along with the WX being good.

Finaly I am assuming that BMC's EMB-145s have TCAS!!!!!

Thanks for any replies!!!

MG

------------------
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.