PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which foreign pilots impressed you the most ?
Old 12th Oct 2016, 10:23
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Ulrich_Rudel

Ok a serious one from me, the chap described in the link, I've provided a link for Hans-Ulrich Rudel, as I couldn't do him justice by tying to type up his career history here. Suffice to say, one Historian observed that had Hans been British or American he'd be a household name with films and books depicting his war service with the finest in Hollywood lining up to play the part. What I will say is that his incredible escape from the Russians resulted in a foot being amputated, he was to be grounded as medically unfit, however, he insisted (like Douglas Bader) on taking to the air again. Therefore, a false foot was made for him and he returned to the air, he also received a Gallantry award which was especially struck just for him as the highest German award had already been made and seemed inadequate for the degree of service beyond the call rendered by Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

There is another German pilot, name I can't recall at present, but he guided a shot up B-17 to the coast risking Court Martial and the inevitable firing squad or even guillotine had he been identified, a likely outcome at the time.

But these are two I can think of.

FB