PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 06:37
TheRev

Hugmonster

You criticism of my levels of experience suggest you take my comments personally, and they weren't directed at you but at the appearance the program gave that air traffic controllers were bordering on the cowboy and our airspace resembled wild country where passengers were at risk. I was particularly refering to the VoY area as this is not an area which MUST be crossed - which regional airport within it would you be trying to reach ? There is a great deal of military traffic both low level and transitting to the danger areas off the coast to practice refuelling etc and I had thought for the most part it they didnt cause to many problems, until I heard your story. Now I am inclined to believe that perhaps, as others have said, it is an intense milatry playground during the day and best kept clear of, particularly with a nice warm cosy airway so close. That is the lesson I have learned from your story.

Whether you reach the same conclusion is nothing to do with me, whether your airline puts pressure on you to fly a more risky route to save a few bucks is nothing to do with me. I totally agree there are some areas which require more CAS. All I said was aircraft putting passengers at risk flying through the VoY
was a subject more suited to a program on how airlines are taking unnecessary risks with passengers rather than one about ATC.