PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whopee! Medals for all!
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2016, 15:52
Mahogany_Bomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't work out whether some of the disparaging comments being made are genuinely held beliefs or individuals simply being deliberately provocative. Are we really such curmudgeons as to begrudge personnel who have served for for the prerequisite period the medallic recognition which is available to their non-commissioned and reservist peers? I accept that there will quite naturally be differences of opinion on qualifying service and start date, but surely the underlying principle of equity is easy to accept?

The LS&GCMs have undergone a number of significant amendments since their inception and this is simple another step in an ongoing medallic evolutionary process. This change was proposed unprompted by Sir John Holmes in his medal report; as an outsider looking in he identified what he considered to be a clear and illogical anomally, which consequently he suggested might be addressed.

Wearing a medal for which I would have qualified had I not taken my commission makes me a chav with a need to massage my own ego, apparently. Having already spent 25 years in the service, undertaken my fair share of op tours and served both in the ranks and as an officer I will wear my LS&GCM (and clasp!) with pride (does that count as ego massaging?) That admission clearly means that I haven't undertaken what NutLoose refers to as "real service", whatever that might be. I await enlightenment.

If it's good enough for HM it's good enough for me.

MB

Last edited by Mahogany_Bomber; 11th Oct 2016 at 16:11. Reason: Edited in order to remove the un-officer like and unbecoming inclusion of the words "you chippy pr*ck"