PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 10th Oct 2016, 19:43
Tommy Tipee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Co pilot solos on the Herc conversion course

Adding to Brian's explanation above, on the early OCU courses, all pilots flew in the left hand seat on their instructional trips.

Unlike traditional pilot training, the co pilot solo occurred well over half way through the course (I had about 45 hours on type when I did mine), and it consisted of three circuits. The first two were rollers (touch and go in modern parlance), finishing with a full stop landing.

Co pilots learned their right hand seat flying when their trainee captain was doing his solo exercises and they were carrying out the co pilot duties.

At the end of the course, our log books were endorsed as "1st pilot Day Only/Co Pilot".

Those of us who were lucky enough to ferry our aircraft out to Changi got
plenty of practice at straight and level (ish) flying, as the autopilot had not yet been cleared for use by Handling Squadron at Boscombe. Like all good captains, mine delegated most of the cruise flying to me so after 25 hours I was getting the hang of it.

I don't think the nav was very impressed when he was trying to take his astro shots, but we got there anyway!

Happy days.

Tommy