PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mandatory call at 1 or 1,5nm finals....
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2016, 18:46
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, IŽd say all the guys flying somewhat bigger iron on the airfield (we do have not only the Dos, but a F2000, an Lear 35, 3 Excels, 2 Challenger 300, a Lear 45, 2 Phenom 300 on the field) are okay with trying to make the field as safe as possible. And we are all very aware that it is far from perfect.

But I earn my bread there and we (our ops) have tried to mitigate the risk firstly by buying a C680 over the 560 at the time - which would give you a RESA if you look at actual landing distance required, which has 2 tires on each landing gear leg, by making it a captains airfield only since we started operating in 2007, by having experienced pilots. We see the sim annually and did so twice a year for the first 3 years of operating the aircraft. Lastly there is no pressure whatsoever to land there nor to takeoff over weight. We regularly use intermediate fuel stops in order to avoid being overweight for T/O. We run all the numbers (APG and CPCalc) both for T/O and LDG for every flight and have our SOPs in place.

NOW I must do something that is against my firm belief, our SOPs to certain extend and does certainly not raise my situational awareness as it is supposed to do. Add to that the complete and utter disregard not for only my opinion, but that of guys with 20000+ hours, flying out of the airfield since 30+ years, which are TRE/TRIs, FI(A)s and senior examiners etcetc. We did a rough count and came to close to hundred thousand accident free hours of flying at the table when meeting to discuss the thing. As stated above, 2 guys used their own time and resources to actually develop a CBT, which I think is a way better way to teach and show the special 'things' on the airport, way better than just 3 approaches with no tng program etc...but that was not evening considered.

On the other side there is EASA and the LBA telling me we are responsible for a safe and sound operation, I have asked the LBA about what to do and I did not get a real answer.

It is just utterly frustrating.

Wednesday IŽll make the call - hurray IŽll be finally.... aware !