PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you take the COMPASS test?
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2016, 17:38
SeventhHeaven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No verbal problems, just math equations. All pretty simple. If anything, the open questions are harder because I keep wondering if I might have made a rounding error

I did the advanced compass, so it might be different, but there is indeed a "follow the fight director" segment. Basically you're following the FD through a random path of climbs, turns, descends, etc etc, with the ball in the middle, while trying to maintain a certain speed. There was turbulence and unexpected airspeed drops you have to correct for. It only lasts a few minutes and you repeat this exercise a few times. You don't have to be perfect, it's bloody weird to do on a keyboard anyway! They just want to see some improvement every time.

Keep in mind, there is no "pass" or "fail" - you are graded compared to everybody that ever sat the compass test. The final scores just represent how you compare to other candidates. It just places you in a certain percentile, and the computer estimates what you might be weak at. Again, this is fine, they expect 3 to 4 improvement areas. It's normal. If you only have 1 or 2 you're golden!

If you're confident in yourself as a potential pilot, you have absolutely nothing to fear.