PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2016, 10:14
pettinger93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have been reading the Burma and Chindit threads with interest. As I mentioned 'pilots brevet' a while ago, my father ( Harold Pettinger MC) was the Captain (later Major) in charge of the 'special forces' unit who arranged the air drops to support the Chindits in the jungle. On clearing his house ( he died 2 years ago aged 93) we found the radio code books the Chindits used to request their needs, which we donated to the Imperial War Museum. The requests were procured , 'junglised' and then either dropped over a map reference , or, later on, flown to a jungle airstrip. My father often went out in the Dakotas and into one of the jungle airstrips ('White City' I think?) . He spoke of dropping a number of a very early type of outboard motors plus £10000 of gold sovereigns over a map reference and often speculated if the gold was ever retrieved or whether it is still lying in the jungle. The outboard motors were 'run in' by placing them in oil drums filled with water and left to run. I assume they were used by troops to cross the larger rivers? Dad also arranged for the manufacture by his engineers of the brass plaque that was placed over the site where Wingate died in the air crash. This plaque is also now in the Imperial war Museum, having been later replaced by something grander. Dad thought highly of Wingate as a leader and soldier, but said he was mad as a hatter, and would not have survived in the post war army.