PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 23:52
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I note someone said how much do you think it would take to move the Queen Mother Reservoir,? not a lot to drain it and you then end up with a large flat area perfect for building a runway and the associated infrastructure in relative peace. Water can easily be piped in from elsewhere
Problem with this: As DaveReidUK states in #4684, the Airports Commission looked at this, but even more simple than that is the fact that Heathrow Airport Ltd. doesn't own the reservoir. Would the owners sell it? In the unlikely event, it would cost Heathrow Airport Ltd.a fortune and consequently not be a good return on its investment.

So I do believe that Jock Lowes plan an ex BA chief pilot to be sensible, why spend more when you dont have to, LGW plus a Northern runway could be built for the price of R3
Problem with this: it requires permanent mixed mode to increase capacity and provide any return on investment. Unfortunately this will alienate flightpath residents who will lose all the respite that segregated mode and alternation currently provides.

Sorry to sound so negative but these are the realities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnut
as for the idea that the M25 could be diverted around the airport or put on a bridge is fanciful, are planes going to fly under this bridge?

I think you'll find that the bridge is intended to take the runway over the M25, not vice versa
Or, as they say at Gatwick, "obviously".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
Rated best in Western Europe by who?

Airport Council International.
Best-Airport-by-Size-and-Region/Europe
Interesting that 3 of the 5 are in the Russian Federation?

Quote:
It's one of these bizarre things which says a lot about the British. Those who fly a lot, and who are familiar with various hubs, rate LHR highly. ( I remember T5 winning awards.) Those who rarely fly seem to only remember the bad publicity from several years ago and avoid it on the principle that things are always better elsewhere. Hence KLM have feeder flights from almost every UK airport, and Air Lingus from many.
It's not my most convenient airport to get to, but the only inherent thing I have against LHR is the delays. I don't enjoy sitting in the terminal watching the arriving flight do 20 circles over Middx on flightradar while wondering if I'm still going to make my connection at wherever. In particular, the terminal experience is much better than STN (my nearest airport).

So in short... the only thing I have against LHR is that it doesn't have a third runway...
Yeah, me too!!