PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2003, 04:05
PH-UKU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack-oh, 16Blades. (edited due to product of 2 night shifts !!)

AFAIK (willing to be corrected) there are very few Advisory Routes (Class F airspace) south of 55 Deg N, the bulk are around Scotland (GOW-BEN, GOW-STN, GOW-INS-WIK-SUM, ADN-WIK, ADN-SUM), with enough civil airliners to make it interesting - and no alternative routes to fly.

Having worked both mil+civil I can categorically say we have an excellent mil/civil liaison at ScACC controller to controller. Can't speak for the scopies though - the problem is unknown traffic, speaking to no-one, or worse still wearing 'NATO autonomous@ squawks.

Jack-oh - Lossie are delegated a very small part of the ADR structure (and then only Mon-Fri), but there is quite a large world outside the 50 mile range ring and above FL115

16B - the point I am making is that frequently mil jets are maneouvring around in Class F advisory routes, and frequently civil airliners are wheeched about the sky trying to anticipate and to avoid them. And I am sure there are drawers full of airmiss reports on the subsequent melee - (and many other filled drawers...) I take your point about the Vale of York, busy place, (I worked the LARS there a few years ago). Wiltshire based crews ;-) I suspect are more aware of 'other traffic' due to the even more busy nature of Southern airspace. Some of the jets flying around Scotland may be under the impression that they are the only people in the sky .... not so. Scottish just posted it's busiest ever day/week at the end of July.

Now I am sure you would agree that while Class F airspace is not recognised by the mil, it is tempting fate to fart around in it with gay abandon. Put the boot on the other foot. MATZ around mil airfields are not legally enforcable (2nm ATZ is, but MATZ isn't). So what would be the likely reaction if Joe Bloggs drove his little Cessna right up to the ATZ edge and flew (perfectly legally) up and down the final approach with equal gay abandon ? Think he'd be criticised for unsportsmanlike conduct?

To the ATP, SF34 and E145 pilots who daily run the gauntlet. There is talk of a jet syndicate getting together at a West of Scotladn airfield. Perhaps your own interceptor to accompany you on the ADRs might be not too far away

Last edited by PH-UKU; 8th Aug 2003 at 18:09.