PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 23:13
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I read this thread in more detail I find more to comment on:

1) the coning angle is only loosely tied to the load factor - rpm variance is a big influence, so I would not take any coning angles measured as proportional to the load factor.

2) the character of blade stall is very different than wing stall in an airplane - there is no loss of lift and "falling through" in any case I have experienced. The rotor stall usually occurs where the local lift coefficient is maintained, at least within 10% or so, and the coefficient of moment falls rapidly as the blade center of lift shifts. In other words, the rotor stall characteristic is a big change in blade pitching moment (and the ensuing control system loadings) and not a reduction in rotor thrust or load factor.The basic premise of this thread seems an attempt to prove other wise.

3) Generally speaking, any maneuver that produces significant load factor must have a pronounced pitch rate (disk angular rate, continuous node up rotation) that increases rotor flow into the disk. Generally, the load factor produced is proportional to pitch rate times airspeed. Below about Vy, there is little such load factor available, that is why autorotations that slow down below Vy generally produce poor flares and very little rate of descent reduction - the auto cyclic flare is simply a load factor maneuver used to reduce rate of descent by swapping forward speed for vertical G.

4) Note that the Greek Apache has almost NO pitch rate as it approaches the water. The pilot is attempting a purely collective pitch recovery, because that is all he has left - first because his airspeed is very slow and no cyclic rate will produce mush lift, and secondly because he knows he will put his tail rotor in the water if he rotates much.