PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet A1 contamination?
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 20:20
Anchorhandler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet A1 contamination?

Good evening all

First of all, apologies for joining the forum then immediately asking a question but need to avail myself of the wealth of experience found herein.

I need some advice on when to consider a bulk storage tank of Jet A1 as too far contaminated and condemned .

To explain, i manage a fleet of super-yachts and one of the yachts in particular has its own helicopter which forms an integral part of the yachts operation. The helicopter is based semi-permanently on the vessel. To allow this, the yacht is fitted with bulk Jet A1 storage tanks to allow full re-fueling capabilities.

All was fine until a few weeks ago when it was notices that during regular sampling of the fuel in the tanks, several small pieces of rubber (approx half the size of a penny) were found in the sample taken from the tanks foot valves.
The source of the debris was found to be some gaskets of non-compatible material fitted in the discharge pipework going up to the on deck fueling nozzle.
The suspect gasket were degrading and breaking up allowing small pieces of rubber to head back into the tank. (total of about 20 small pieces found in the tank)
These are currently being replaced for the correct Viton rubber material but the question i have is this:
Should the 8400ltrs of Jet A1 in the tanks be condemned or is it safe to flush out the remaining debris through the sample/foot valves then rely on the 0.5 micron coelescer/filters as fitted to the discharge line. All fuel pumped up to the airframe has to pass through these filters.

For info previous fuel samples taken at the nozzle and sent for testing revealed no issues and the fuel is clear and bright with no traces of water.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon