PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MOD/Defence related jobs for civilian pilots??
Old 9th Oct 2016, 16:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK MOD/Defence related jobs for civilian pilots??

Hi there,

I'm due to finish my ATPL training in the next year, obviously the natural progression is into the airlines which is/was the primary plan. However, my old first preference was to be a RAF pilot although for various reasons, mainly medical, that was not possible.

I seen a recent job advertisement for Cobham Aviation for the Falcon fleet; I don't know an awful lot about this company, or the civilian side of the defence industry for that matter. I presume Cobham are contracted to provide a simulated enemy for the RN/RAF? I think a few years back a few A330 rated pilots joined the RAF Reserve on the Voyager fleet, another example that springs to mind.

Anyhow, it got me thinking (probably a dangerous thing) and I'm wondering if any of you on here could shed some light on this sector, just what exactly are the opportunities for civilian pilots to get involved in military aviation, if any?

Obviously, I will most likely be too inexperienced as a fATPL holder, I'm sure these jobs would be oversubscribed and perhaps they are maybe too awful to contemplate; but at least if I know what is available then perhaps I could chart a course to get there in the future.

Many thanks for any help/info that can be spared.

Regards,