PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 14:53
Danny42C

Jagan,

Welcome back - it's been a long time ! Thanks for the link, got it up.

Reaction: Shock, Horror ! Never heard of any of these ideas except the "Link" that we all know too well; but the "Polebrook Trainer" has a similarity with the "Edmunds Trainer" (the thing I found in my logbook on my Spitfire OTU, couldn't remember what it was, but the kindly friends on this Thread dug it out for me).

Turns out to be a pilot's gunsight put on a Link, another chap pushes a trolley past you with a model He-111 or something up on an arm, you have to apply correct deflection.
Anyone who has "flown" a Link knows how utterly hopeless that would be (and was !)

By one of the curious coincidences of war, at the end I had with me a Wg Cdr Edmondes, an Armaments Officer, it was his idea three years before (Edmondes - Edmonds - Edmunds, you see). He was a pilot, too, can only think he never flew a Link, or he would have known what a daft idea it was.

Now 152 OTU at Peshawar was set up, I think, some time after the RAF Squadrons had worked (by trial and error) out how to use a VV as a dive bomber (nobody else in the RAF knew anything about them). I presume they planned their flying training syllabus on our reports; I'd be very interested if you could let us know (on Open Post here) if you have any info on that.

Don't go away now !

Danny.

PS: Hope you are in contact with Peter Smith by now. D.