PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 10:17
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
As I mentioned AnFI, your knowledge about the cause of helicopter crashes wrt failing to pull out of manoeuvres is pitiful.

Almost all the type of videos you link to may well end up in an 'annoying' crash into the scenery but the end result was predictable - usually at the entry stage.

You won't have done aerobatics but it is all about entry gates - strict heights and speeds to achieve before you start the manoeuvre - the Apache one and so many more were the result of insufficient height on entry to safely complete the pull out. (and in the Greek one a pretty poor wingover technique)

The classic wingover crash is where the pilot doesn't get halfway round the azimuth before he gets to the apex - the temptation is to roll on more bank and pull harder to try and get round (this accelerates you towards the ground) - then it is only in the latter stages you realise you don't have enough height and pull hard with both hands - at that point, as Nick says, it is lack of engine power due to the high pitch angles and massive drag that prevents a 9 G pull out, coning angle is just a symptom of the overpitching.

But, since you won't even listen to an absolute expert like Nick, I am sure my views won't cut any ice with such a self-proclaimed know-it-all like you.

As for my abilities - I am simply the product of a very good training system which, in turn, I have used to pass on the same lessons learned - normally with simple explanations and demonstrations on the ground and in the air - all without trying to score intellectual points over my students.

I wonder what you bring to the instructional party..............