PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chuck Yeager dislikes the British
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 08:55
Joellouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentleman

Originally Posted by GlobalNav
I respect Gen Yeager's accomplishments, and his military service. But as a retired USAF officer I do NOT share his opinion of the British. I am grateful that my country has such a friend in this troubled world.

We truly are "divided" by somewhat different cultures and a common language. The way one handles such differences demonstrates his world view, whether provincial or sophisticated. But I have had no trouble making friends and enjoying the company of British citizens.
You Sir, are a gentleman.
I met an American some years ago and he was brash, rude, loud and self opinionated. I really disliked him and that set my own opinions of Americans right there. I'd literally spit venom at the sound of their voices.
Then a few years later, I travelled round Australia and met a family of Americans on holiday - sorry, vacation! They were the nicest people I'd met there after four months. We enjoyed eachothers company and we're still in contact today.
See? My incorrect view of all Americans just because I'd met one was righted after meeting another.
Mr Yeager is entitled to his opinions, but it probably would've been more acceptable if he'd worded it differently. I don't know the guy so I'm not going to make the same mistake again of generalising a nation.