PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 03:48
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am following this thread, and am a bit perplexed! Most helicopter accidents where the maneuver falls short of the need (a pull out that can't stop the descent before ground contact) are the result of too little engine power, since most occur at speeds where there is no power other than the engines to fuel the blade lift demanded.

I would argue that even in the video we watch where the Apache plunks in. I know that a light Apache can pull about 3 g's before the rotor stalls, and yet the engines can only produce about 2 or a bit more. I wonder what the G level was of that machine as impact occurred.

I know these issues quite well (I authored the papers that helped define Maneuverability and Agility back once upon a time), work that helped produce the LHX maneuver requirements.

I seriously doubt that blade stall produces accidents, mostly it is lack of available maneuverability as limited by engine power. Let me be sure and state that if sufficient speed is had (well above Vy) then the speed can be sacrificed to produce extra thrust. The video proves that the Apache in question was very very slow (25 to 30 knots?) and that maneuver was a pure power maneuver.
In a nutshell, stall had nothing to do with it, and the simple fact is that the pilot misjudged his altitude, and had insufficient climb performance to stop the descent prior to impact.

The best video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOW44sydqtw