PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VET-FEE Help - gooooone from 1 Jan
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2016, 21:08
outnabout

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Notabove500:
Training starts in a C172, and then (surprisingly soon) are moved onto a high performance single which is not generally used in GA.
No dirt strips or cross winds above 9 knots or flying with more than scattered cloud.
Cross country nav's are done over one or two routes, one of which will be the flight test.
Autopilot and GPS rule the cockpit.
On time departures are a foreign concept - the time of departure is the time you rock up to the airfield.
Anything under the cowl is for the engineer.
No one fails, ever, and no one is criticised ever.

Having written this, I realise that there is more than one school guilty of these sins but in my opinion newly minted CPLs are more likely to display these traits when coming from a VET fee school than from another school.

The former Chief Pilot of WrightsAir has set up a business called GA Ready, which is aimed at teaching newly minted CPLs the facts of GA Outback life and giving them some practical C210 time. An excellent idea, and I am sure the very experienced operator will provide much needed and practical experience. But isn't it a shame that training standards have fallen so far, and that GA has become so irrelevant to the training industry that this type of business is even required?