PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling Nick Lappos - Blade Stall
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 22:27
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dCl/Da
I did cover all those points didn't you bother reading?

and it is important because there are many accidents from attempting to pull more g resulting in less lift

elegantly the rotor actually physically performs the integration (not that it's neccessary), and as AC simply puts it coning is the ratio of 'lift' to Cf. you just can't get that ratio beyond a (fairly low) value even if you want to. (because if the Cf were low (although that's not the point, the normal RRPM case is) then the 'Lift' that can be made before stall isn't that great either)

yes, nobody flys with a 'critical cone indicator' (perhaps they should!) but it would help pilots understand why you can change pitch of the aircraft at a greater rate but should not neccessarily expect a greater TRT hence why they annoyingly hit the lake/snow/ground so often.

I alluded to higher speeds, the points dCl/Da makes are not relevant (especially Lock number)
really what happens when you pull more g in a helicopter at speed is parts of the disk stall but the effect is distributed, there's a load of vibration and the disk as a whole starts to make less TRT rather than more.
It's a little like the real stall in an aeroplane in as much as the whole wing (generally) does not stall at the same parameters, so it's a 'soft stall'. For a helicopter it is very like the phenomenon described in the manual extract by (i think it was) SASless, about 'mushing'.

valuable ? possibly would have been to the pilots with egg on their face and might help other pilots to avoid egg on thiers

Crab nothing valuable to add as ever, you really are an oaf, and nowt wrong with my maths either thank you (dCl/da neatly avoided the fact that there's an RPM term on top missing in his simplification !) since you obviously don't understand this stuff why don't you just shut up and contemplate a little longer before opening your unhelpful and loutish mouth?

anyhow i've said enough, take it or leave it, it might be useful to some pilots