PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 22:25
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Thank you Box Brownie! You have presented us with a cornucopia which we can now pick over at leisure.

Danny, can you throw any light on the "E Group Channels" mentioned right at the end? It seems to imply that it was an escape organisation along the lines of those operating in the occupied European countries to effect the return of downed Allied aircrew. Was this similar?

Burma seems to be teeming with people. Every day they are avoiding or confronting the locals, all of whom seem remarkably friendly. Nonetheless they seem determined to avoid contact with the natives if possible and certainly steer clear of their homes. No doubt a wise precaution until they can be sure of whom they are dealing with. This seems to come right at the end when presumably some form of confirmation of reliability enabled them to put themselves into the hands of E Group. The brevity of that part of the report is presumably due to security considerations.

What I am puzzled by is the complete absence of any mention of their parachutes, which are major survival aids. Were they not worn anyway or would they be in stowage's that were difficult to access in a burning crashed aircraft? Whatever the reason they would have had better shelters and thus slept better if they had them to hand.

All in all a fascinating read. I have not managed to plot their route, but with so many waypoints mentioned it would be interesting to know how much distance they had covered at the end. Finally the written notes are, I presume, made by JD. He seems to demure about the strip at the end. I wonder why?