PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-transponder access to Class E+TMZ airways
Old 7th Oct 2016, 20:14
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Airwave45's anecdote about being given 'approval' to enter Class E in VMC is a symptom of long-standing problems (from my perspective as a pilot) with the application of CAS in the UK. It's my view that the ATCO's "duty of care" results in the treatment of classes C, D and E as class B, to all intents and purposes - i.e. all traffic requiring 'clearance' to enter, and all traffic separated regardless of flight rules. Among other effects are the difficulties GA pilots often experience in gaining access to CTZs, the supplanting of formal separation standards with easily-disregarded 'airmanship' advice in the UK AIP, the profusion of local procedures such as TMZs and ATSOCAS, and the oddity of instrument traffic at regional and military airfields being forced to 'mix it' in IMC with low-altitude Class G VFR traffic. Over-zealous application of separation in all classes of CAS by ATCOs has entrenched push-back against CAS by non-airline airspace users, resulting in no-one being especially happy with the end result (see, for example, the argument over EGLF). Wider use of Class E or proper application of Class D VFR separation standards (i.e. none) would give a predictable level of service to IFR traffic on bad weather days (no more scud-running near airfields) while not hindering GA in good weather. But I think there is too strong an attachment to the UK's approach among ATCOs and the CAA for there to be any prospect of change.

Last edited by Easy Street; 7th Oct 2016 at 20:34.