PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would be a good answer??
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 23:55
ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noisy,
your comment on the lift equation about IAS could be understood to indicate that the V is the IAS. I'd like to point out that it is indeed TAS to avoid misunderstandings.

As the dynamic pressure will be essentially the same at identical indicated speeds close to the lower end of the usable speed region (i e same equivalent airspeed), the aero forces will remain largely the same.

OTOH... at high altitude you'll need to consider the difference between IAS/CAS and EAS as compressibility will come into play all the way down to Vs...

I do know that dutch rolls can occur at altitude when they do not down low... but I'll have to think (or even *gasp* read!) to come up with an explanation for that one. There's not enough coffee here to make that possible right now! Someone, point out the flaws in my reasoning please!

What are your air molecules doing hitting the back side of the pitot tube? Tell the daft ******s to get up to the front end where they belong!

As for GS, I wouldn't be concerned about turn radius way up there. The turn rates are proportional to TAS of course...

PAXboy,
if you are wobbling around at Vs, on the verge of stall, yes, you do regain control by increasing airspeed. If, and this is the crux of the matter, this does not put you above Vmo/Mmo which is the velocity/mach speed at which you run into compression related difficulties instead. When these two converge, the only way back into the flight envelope is down where there's a usable speed range again.

Cheers,
Fred

av8boy,
could you explain the implications of Passenger Fear Induced Lift on all that? Especially in cargo ops?

Ah, yet another reason to use hPa on the altimeters rather than inHg! Of course a small change such as 29.92 to 29.87 (change of 0.05 units) will not have any effect! If you instead change from 1013 to 1011 (change of 3 units, or a whopping 60 times as much!) things will really start happening!

/Fred