PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell us the story of your first solo
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 18:18
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A summer evening in 1978 and I'd just finished a spinning detail in the C150 (flick entry with Tom - sharply up, over on its back, into the spin). Back at the field (after Tom had made a point of visually checking the fin was still straight - his little joke!) I was just tidying the cockpit before going home when Tom reappeared. "My next student has cancelled. You in any hurry to go home?".

So off we went into the circuit. After two Tom said "taxy to the tower". Mystified, I did. Tom got out, stowed his straps and said "off you go then. Do one on your own". I couldn't believe it - I only had about 10 hours and thought I had some way to go to solo. Tom obviously though different.

Lined up at the end of 27 I remember thinking "once I take off, I have to get this down entirely on my own". I pressed in the throttle and as soon as I was in the air I felt incredibly relaxed. All fears had vanished.

The landing was fine, and I drove home at a metaphoric 60,000 feet. I didn't come down until the next day.... When it was 'circuit consolidation' with Leo!

First solo is amazing - far more significant, I think, than the successful GFT flight that followed a few months later. First time ever being in sole charge of an aeroplane - can't be beaten!