PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! UK PPL to EASA Conversion Route
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 13:25
Wind Up Turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! UK PPL to EASA Conversion Route

In parallel with attempting to contact the CAA with this query, and having received various opinions locally, I thought that I'd take the opportunity of seeking opinion here....

I'm returning to private flying after a layoff. I have a lifetime UK CAA PPL(A) with a SEP (Land) rating that expired approx. 3 years ago. I'll eventually be flying an EASA aircraft and so I need to convert my UK PPL(A) to an EASA / Part-FCL licence. I've done some refresher training with an Approved Training Organisation and I now have a Course Completion Certificate.

I'm now expecting to do have to do a Skills Test / LPC of some sort with an examiner and I'll also be doing that on an EASA aircraft. So, the question is, do I need to convert my UK PPL to an EASA licence BEFORE my Skills Test /LPC? Alternatively, can/should the SEP rating on my UK PPL(A) be renewed via the Skills Test / LPC first and then my licence converted to EASA / Part-FCL? (The CAA web-site mentions something along the lines of: if your ratings are at the back of your licence then they cannot be renewed by examiner signature - and, guess what, my expired SEP rating is at the back of my licence).

If I have to convert my existing UK PPL(A) to EASA first, i.e. before my Skills Test / LPC do I then have to return it to the CAA after my test in order to put the renewed SEP rating on it (since I presume the new EASA licence will arrive at my door without a rating), or, can the rating be added by the examiner?

At the moment, I'm progressing on the basis that I have to convert the licence first, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing before I send it off.

Any help appreciated.

WUT