PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA pilots of the future...
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 12:33
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abgd I was in IT but deffo a rag & tube pilot.

Grass fields, tailwheels, strips, aerobatics are for me what flying is about, and I count myself lucky to have flown lots of interesting types over the 30+ years I was active in the air.

A Chipmunk was my main toy for all of those decades bar about 3 years of Yak52 part-ownership. Along the way came L4 Cub, Citabria, Super Cub, Tiger Moth, Stampe, and several other interesting machines, all of which I have fond memories of.

There were of course the C150s I did the PPL on, the C172 and 205 I did parachute dropping in and took friends for rides when the single pax seat of the interesting aeroplanes wasn't enough and other unmemorable types such as PA38s and 28s.

I guess I was lucky to have done my PPL at a grass field where access these wonderful machines was possible. I'm sure there still such places but probably far fewer than there was in 1978 when I started.

It seems much of GA today is a feeder for the commercial aviation industry, and grass strips, aeros, wind in the hair, tailwheels, and stick & rudder skills have taken a back seat in favor of nosewheels, glass cockpits, and electronic gizmos.

It's enough to make ya weep!