PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Activated Lighting - Alternate Requirements Lunacy
Old 6th Oct 2016, 23:40
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FL, Have you any idea of the costs to run a Tower? I remember in the mid 80s the powers that be decided to put in a tower at Wagga. They justified this empire building exercise on inflated aircraft movements. I was flying out of there at that time and seem to recall something like 30,000+ movements a year. All the locals based on the field knew this was a crock of proverbial but it went ahead anyway. Lasted only a few short years before it got shut down. Not enough movements to justify the expense.
You seem to reckon it should be based on aircraft size. Imagine that? Port Augusta has probably about 4 Focker 50 movements a week? Lets put in a tower. Same for Prominent Hill,Moomba, Olympic Dam (even though hardly any other traffic goes to those airports). Whyalla and Port Lincoln have 2 or 3 Dash movements most days. They will need towers. I havent even started to count the larger states. You must work for an airline. Problem is pilots like you dont pay for anything.Your company does and passes it on to the user. ie passengers,small aviation business owners and private pilots.