Old 6th Oct 2016, 18:30
Danny42C

Chuck Yeager dislikes the British.

Chuck Yeager dislikes the British

I dislike Chuck Yeager.

(reminds me of:

"God is dead - Nietzsche"
"Nietzsche is dead (d.1900) - God"

(supposedly graffiti on London Underground)

In the course of my long and undistinguished "career", I have met many American Gentlemen (and I use the word advisedly). I am for ever grateful to General "Hap" Arnold for givimg me my flying training in the USAAC, and have grateful memories of the hospitality lavished on us by the American people when we were there.

I am sorry for the wartime sneer "Overfed...etc". Was it their fault that our Government would not pay its troops properly ? (note that [I believe] the RCAF paid just as well as the US - but the slur was not applied to them).

Was it their fault that our Government would not kit ours out with smart uniforms ? And why should they not be well fed, coming as they did from a land of plenty (we have plenty of food now - and just look at us !)

It was pure "sour grapes" of course. They got the girls because they had the money (and the Marlboros, the Hershey bars and the nylons helped), they were smart, they could jitterbug - and they were simply different.

We were in a life-or-death struggle together in those years (and may yet again be so); we were basically the same people; it cannot be wished away now.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 6th Oct 2016 at 18:33. Reason: Spell !