PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non-transponder access to Class E+TMZ airways
Old 6th Oct 2016, 15:58
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
airwave:
Thanks for your account of what's required from a glider pilot perspective. I'm still curious about the fact that quite a few of the Inverness outbounds are still wearing Inverness squawks as they pass through the area west of Feshie and above FL95/105 and therefore inside the Class E. I'm not sure if this is because they can see non-SSR gliders on their primary radar in that area and therefore hang on to their traffic until it's clear of the unidentified traffic - but that would presumably require some agreement between Inverness ATC and Scottish.

Not sure what you mean by "it's _not_ an airway" other than perhaps no airways are airways any more, they're all Lower Air Traffic Service Routes. And in relation to "You can pretty much treat E+ as G as long as you are squawking 7000", that of course depends on your ability to maintain VMC. I would also like to know whether the commercial operators through that airspace train their aircrew to adopt different lookout procedures in Class E - and of course when they drop out of E into G north of Kingussie/Newtonmore.

Very pleased (and not at all surprised) that the Scottish controllers do their level best to accommodate you.

NS