PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2016, 15:42
Danny42C

Keeffro (#9454),
...I approached him after the talk, told him about this thread and asked him if he uses a computer. Unfortunately, he said no, which is really regrettable, as he is such a bright, lively character that he would be a wonderful asset here...
True of all too many of us - I was 90 when I took the plunge. Get him to your laptop, show him this Thread, he'll be hooked, you'll get him 'on line' (they got me that way).
...I thought of recording his talk, took out my phone, hesitated, then thought again and switched it on, not even sure if it would record an hour and a half's talk in one go. When I spoke to him I told him I had recorded most of the talk and asked if he would mind if I transcribed parts of it for this thread, and he immediately said "no problem"......At the very least, I should be able to post some highlights of Ted's story here - the recording volume was low, but I think it should be usable...
Yessss ! (Box Brownie has John Dunbar DFC (RIP) in this way, as you can see. And if you could put an old-time pilot next to you to ask pertinent questions while he's on the phone. But we have to be careful - there have been one or two "Walter Mittys" mixed with the genuine old-timers.

Know nowt about Catalinas (or any other seabird, for that matter). But there was a naughty Catalina Flight Engineer who comes into my story (starts half way down p.151 #3019 here, and the rest is on p.152 #3030).

Danny.