PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2016, 15:05
cj241101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline callsigns

Don't know if anyone can help with this one. Back in 1968 when I bought my first airband radio, there were still a few airlines using the aircraft registration as the ATC callsign as opposed to the flight number. This seemed to be a mainly British phenomenon, with the only overseas carrier I remember using registrations being Sabena, which they were still doing until at least 1977. UK airlines still using registrations for ATC included, as I recall B.E.A., British Midland and British United. Monarch used flight numbers from day 1 (5th April 1968). B.O.A.C., British Eagle, Laker and Caledonian were using flight numbers. Not sure about Britannia, Channel, Invicta, Cambrian, BKS and Dan Air. The introduction of computerised systems and repetitive flight plans (RPL's) meant most carriers moved to using the flight number for ATC during the 1970's. It no doubt helped with navigation charges as well.

What I am after is further info as to other carriers who used registrations and when they switched to using flight numbers. I remember Autair used flight numbers when they switched their scheduled flights to LHR in 1969 but I think they used registrations prior to that. Did Court Line use registrations in their early days? Any info welcome.

Also can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Sudflug who used the airport briefly during summer 1967 used the callsign "Bluebird"?

Last edited by cj241101; 6th Oct 2016 at 22:17.