PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's working the traffic?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2016, 09:30
Toadpool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fundamental question has not yet been answered. How do you quickly and easily identify which unit is providing a service [B]outside[B] CAS to an aircraft that is not on a specific unit code?
There are at least seven other units providing a service in the same airspace as me (yes, HD, I am, as you put it an "aviation professional"). Knowing which unit is providing a service to which aircraft means that, to a certain extent, you can anticipate what the traffic is likely to do and act accordingly. Also, if there is a potential conflict you know who to contact. No guessing or ringing around asking "are you working the 1234"? This is more difficult if the traffic is not on a unit code.
I am aware that this has been in use for years. You will see that my concern is that it seems to be on the increase. I feel that should it continue there will eventually be a form of anarchy where most traffic will be on an ORCAM/CCAM code and it will become increasingly difficult to identify who is working what. It is only the unit that is providing the service to traffic on one of these codes, and possibly the previous unit that handed it over, that knows who is working it. Remember I am only talking about outside CAS.
I am also aware of the argument regarding the reduction of cockpit workload. I don't think that the few seconds it takes to change a squawk should be too onurous to most competent pilots. Most of these aircraft have two crew and I am not suggesting that it's done during a critical phase of flight. Is the slight reduction in cockpit workload sufficient justification for a reduction in situational awareness for all other units in the area?
I do find the assmuption that I'm a "he" rather interesting!