PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Near Miss Paraburdoo WA.
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2016, 08:34
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seem to recall spotting the tails of two camouflage-coloured Caribou sticking up above the low native vegetation, whilst parked on the Corrigin airstrip (YCIG), on a summery late Saturday afternoon, about 1984 as I recall, when I was travelling Eastwards towards Corrigin on the Brookton Hwy.

Corrigin was used regularly for SAS parachuting exercises, but I'd never seen any Caribous parked up there, with dark-thirty coming on. They always went home for tea.

Somewhat puzzled at the apparent abandonment of a couple of prize items of RAAF armament, I pulled into the airstrip to "suss the situation out" (no airside security, no passes, not even a fence or gate, back in those glorious days!).
There wasn't even a picket stationed on the aircraft!!

A quick drive around the aircraft, and the horrifying and sickening evidence immediately became very obvious. Both aircraft were sporting a modest amount of wingtip damage!
It appears an ill-judged turn didn't take into account just how far that wing was sticking out!

I've no doubt come the following Monday, there were some serious repercussions in the CO's or Adjutants office, involving penalties, and possibly rank and status! - and I've always wanted to know what the final repair bill was!