PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BASI "Limitations of See & Avoid" ??
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 20:28
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

BrianG,

Hmmm. I really tried not to personally vent my frustration on Mr Niles. No, I don't know his ability level, however it did seem that he had the same problem that I've found has afflicted other pilots, not all of them low time.

Perhaps he is experienced, if so, I am sorry. Experience should really help him to understand the reality of this issue. Perhaps you are experienced? If so, do you not understand the truth about see and avoid?

Noticed how the military seem to manage to survive from day to day despite their very low level and very high speed type of operation? How is it possible for the military to avoid objects at 660kts odd? Bit quicker than your 300kt climbout in a 73 and you don't have the benefit of radar keeping everything out of your way.

I believe that radar was dreamt up to enable pilots to come close enough to another aircraft so they could see them. Nowadays, the purpose is reversed. Even so, the NAS is being introduced so that we can grow up. We don't have to feel that we need ATC holding our hand whenever we venture skyward. We are big boys now. I'm really not being sarcastic now BrianG, this is true.
We will eventually have to come to the realization that our eyesight is really not as bad as BASI would have had us believe.
It works in the US. Think of the maths in that assertion.

SAME AREA, MANY MORE A/C, WORSE WEATHER, WORSE TERRAIN, ACCIDENT RATE ABOUT THE SAME OR LESS. Better Pilots? I hope not!

The closest I've come to a mid-air was in CTA! And this after operating for a few years in the BK training area, the busiest airspace in OZ.

The fact is that this country is bloody big. Try working out the mathematical probability of two aircraft being in the same airspace at the same altitude at the same time, even within one nm cubed, and you might just understand.

Reminds me of the mythical character who was implored to jump off a high cliff. After much protesting he was pushed. And he flew. We can fly too boys and girls...