PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2003, 20:09
flower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can think of many regional airports who have little or no CAS around them, one regional airport carrying almost 4 million passengers a year has only a very small control zone and all aircraft in and out fly outside regulated airspace.
There is absolutely no way without more CAS to protect these commercial operations to the fullest extent. We offer and provide a comprehensive RAS however with a large number of fast military aircraft also flying in the vicinity it isn't always easy.
I have to say I have had very few problems with military aircraft the vast majority call us up and tell us what they are doing( we have the advantage of a UHF frequency) but when i did have problems with one and advised him we would be filing he even refused to give his registration, and when ringing his unit to say that we were appalled at his airmanship we were promptly told he was outside CAS he could do what he wanted.
It is as always the odd few who give a bad name to many, but to protect our regional airports with Class D airspace linked to the airways system , stepped to allow aircraft who do no wish or require a service would be a sensible approach IMHO