PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confusing Simulator practices at Singapore Airlines
Old 14th Feb 2001, 14:46
slam_dunk

- In my company the pilot flying (either captain or co-pilot) will do the flying from take-off till landing (except for cat 2/3 landings. So far it has never been a problem as to make a decision on whether or not to abort. The rules in the book state clearly "the rejection of a take-off should be restricted to:
1. Aural warnings
2. Engine failure
3. Control problems affecting safe airplane handling
The rejection of a take-off is initiated by the call "STOP". In the above-mentioned cases both pilots may call "STOP". In all other cases the decision to initiate the rejection of a take-off is restricted to the captain. Once the rejection is initiated, it must be completed. "

- In my opinion there is no difference in a 747-400 when doing an abort above or below 80 kts. In my opinion the abort is most critical:
1. Just after setting T/O power if an engine fails. Trying to keep the beast on the runway!
2. Just before reaching V 1. Boeing has shown that an abort at high speed has a very high chance of creating an accident f.i. Departing the runway!
Fly safe!

Slam dunk