PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bourn Airfield Development
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2016, 09:53
jayemm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I visited Bourn on Monday, and wanted to say a little about it. First of all it's a very friendly and welcoming airfield. I want to urge GA pilots to visit and keep Bourn going. It is a slightly unusual experience however! So, here we go:

When you phone for PPR you may not get a reply and cannot leave a message. Don't let this put you off. I called on the radio 15 nm out and got the necessary information.

For accurate information go to the website, don't trust any other source, google maps especially if you are looking for a photo of the location. The active runway 18/36 is now the old taxiway that runs between the clubhouse and the old main runway, which is now covered in containers. I felt as though I was landing at a container port!

The runway is part paved (slightly broken but not a problem - it reminds me of Perranporth) and part grass. 36 has a slight upward incline in the middle. On 36 there is a clearly marked displaced threshold because of some low trees on final. Aim for the threshold and you should be fine. I was flying a PA28.

Someone has commented elsewhere that the facilities are tired and so on. It's true but the character and friendliness overcomes this and it's quite roomy with comfy chairs, TV, toilet etc. The were about 5 other folk there when I visited.

Finally, Bourn still has the housing development (3,500 new homes) hanging over it, so who would invest until that risk has been resolved? The people I met seemed quite hopeful about the survival of Bourn, but clearly it would help if more of us visited.