PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2016, 09:22
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Some good points, safetypee, and well put.

My personal experience combined with what we know about human performance factors suggests that the brain will ignore hearing in a crisis and therefore the audio "stall stall" is too subtle and might not be even noticed.

A visual warning on the PFD might work, but if the PFD is already confusing the pilot, then it might only cause more confusion. As a civilian pilot, I have never flown with an AoA gauge, so cannot comment. All the Cessnas, Pipers, Shorts, Dashs, and BAe146s that I flew previous to the Airbus have some sort of shaking felt through the controls as a stall is approached - either actual shaking of the horizontal stabiliser felt through the yoke, or an artificial stick shaker.

As a previous electronics engineer, it would seem to me a simple matter to make the Airbus side-stick vibrate in order to warn of an impending stall. A vibrating element such as the type used in mobile phones could be fitted into the side stick - in place of that oval panel on the top, and a small electronic driver circuit the size of a matchbox to convert the already present stall warning into pulsing the vibrating element on and off could be constructed for a few pounds. The wires feeding the vibrating element would route through the same channel in the side-stick as the wires to the PTT switch. So it would be a very simple retro fit.

Then, no matter how much the pilot's hearing had shut down, and no matter how confusing the PFD might be, the pulsed vibrating of the side-stick in their hand would warn of a stall, and should provide an instinctive un-stall reaction.

Some might say that I should not be thinking of modifying the aircraft, but this problem has killed people, so something should be done.