PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2016, 23:54
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree they need to up their game but, according to the contract companies, AJX still reckon they're paying the market rate and aren't going to change the conditions. Now, whether this is just PARC/CREW being lazy buggers and just telling us that without actually trying to get the pay increased we'll never know. The contract companies are quite happy to accept the status quo and let things tick along without getting off their backsides and actually trying to do something for the pilots. We have certainly dropped behind and my salary now is worth significantly less at home. The cost of everything has risen over my time with AJX but my salary has stayed exactly the same and I am very unhappy with the reluctance of the contract companies to do their job and support us, rather than kowtow to AJX at every turn because they're scared of losing the contract.

Quite why any American worth their salt would be coming to AJX I don't know. With the hiring going on in the States it would be utter madness to leave home and do this job. Some do it to get a 'quick' command but I can never understand that mentality. Who cares about which seat you sit in? It's all about lifestyle and that is the only important thing. Far, far better to be an FO on a UAL Airbus, living in the US, than left seat of an AJX 767 in Japan.

I wish they would just get their act together and stop all the Chinese whispers, rumours and gossip. The announcement by Mr Big of ANA (whoever it was, I can't remember) that we would be getting the 787 by 2018 was quite clear but that seems to have become muddled and now, who knows? They still can't sort out how they'd integrate the different type into our operation or how they'd crew it and, in true Japanese style, nobody will make a decision because they're all scared of being wrong. A new aircraft would be nice but, to be honest, my priority puts the type of flying ahead of that. I am sick and tired of China, China, China. I HATE the place and don't ever want to go there or hear another Chinese voice in my life but that's not going to happen. My October roster has one trip that is not China

It will be very interesting to see if the rise of JAL from the ashes does affect us. It won't happen immediately but, with the lack of Japanese pilots available, JAL are surely going to have to do something to crew their aircraft. I'm not even talking about expansion but with the retirement bulge in the Japanese airlines and extremely low number of new Japanese pilots, they are going to have to take steps to fill the seats. With a better network (a far more varied international route structure) and a fleet that will consist of 777, 787, A350 they're already looking a better bet than AJX. Add to that the same commuting contract and days off and they'd look even better. Pay better than AJX and I'd be off in a heartbeat. I believe our JCAB licences would make us a little attractive to them. With all the above, AJX would have to do a lot more than just increase our salaries to make me stay. I just hope JALWays II actually comes to something.

Well, that's enough moaning for now. If any of the contract companies are reading these posts, then get your act together and do your job. Stop pandering to the Japanese every time they say we're being paid 'market rate' and actually support the people you're supposed to, instead of acting as a recruiting conduit and then completely forgetting about those you recruited. You've done absolutely NOTHING for at least 10 years, so get your thumbs out of your backsides and stop being such kowtowing pussies.