PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrival/Departure Tower Separation in Low Cloud Conditions
Old 4th Oct 2016, 18:50
good egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5'n'3
Either way, (in my opinion) if you can't provide standard IFR separation or reduced separation between the two flights, you probably shouldn't be launching the departure.
Hmmmm, I think declared capacities at busy single runway airports would take a pretty big hit if you applied that logic.
I'd say it's one of those scenarios where you have to weigh up the risk of a missed approach.
Obviously in poor weather conditions arrival spacing would be increased to mitigate the risk of LOS/WVE between departure and subsequent missed approach.
However, in conditions where statistically the %age of missed approaches is very small I'd suggest it was reasonable to apply a "deemed" separation between departures and arrivals. [Providing controllers are aware of the risk and trained appropriately to resolve/restore standard separation]
Regardless of conditions the tower controller should plan what action to take if the arrival performs a missed approach.

I'm wondering if anyone has a specific entry in their MATS 2 relating to such a "deemed" separation?

Last edited by good egg; 4th Oct 2016 at 18:57. Reason: [Added mitigation]