PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2016, 13:24
industry insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The St Georges Hotel at Teeside airport used to be the officers mess
I was flying an S-76A out of North Denes Single Pilot in about 1985 and we had a contract to support the Bar Protector (once known as the Stena Protector until it was bought by Brown and Root) The job usually involved ND-Bar Protector- Teeside- Bar Protector-ND, like a double shuttle).

I had just refuelled at Teeside to go to the Bar Protector sector and one of the A model Allisons just wouldn't turn at all. Declaring the aircraft U/S and no Engineer anywhere but North Denes, there was no alternative but to overnight at the St Geroges Hotel. Sartorially elegant in a Goon Suit, with only a tee shirt and leggings after a day of being zipped up (if you know what I mean) curtailed anything but an early night.

The next morning, an Engineer was dispatched courtesy of Rip Pearson flying his Cessna 172. The problem was that the Teeside weather that morning was thick fog. Rip was an old bold Wessex and 212 pilot and quite used to single pilot IFR. The thick fog was no barrier for Rip, many hours of single pilot meant that his Cessna 172 soon emerged from the fog after what must have been a perfectly executed ILS, albeit with a very wide eyed engineer on board!

After disembarking and collecting his nerve, the engineer walked over to the S-76, surprisingly without a toolbox. He opened the cowling, tapped the offending starter generator with a rubber mallet and we were good to go.

After starting the S-76, it was off to the Bar Protector, back to Teeside then empty to ND.

Nowadays, the paperwork would take longer than the flight.