PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2016, 12:00
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
The rest of the story as it was told to me was the Pilot killed in that crash took out his own car and crashed into his own room. Supposedly, he had survived the crash up to the point the concrete sill block over the window fell on him and broke his neck.

There is a monument to the Canadian Air Force Crews who flew out of there during WWII doing Bombing Missions over Germany in Lancasters. A long time family friend, an American who went north to join the RCAF before the American's got involved, flew as a Pilot out of Teeside. Years later I also flew from Teeside with Bristow. I made a trip to the UK and visited Teeside and took several photos of the Memorial and gave them to him about a Year before he died.

It is a small World in which we live.

A Teeside story....Garth Parfitt was walking to his aircraft one morning...in his usual erect most military manner....wearing the Musk Ox Survival suit under a Blue Nomex Flight suit, with an Orange Mustang floater Jacket over all that....and the Bristow Issue Military style Mae West. Seeing that I yelled over to him and asked did he know how to swim?

He smiled....and said...."Not a bloody stroke...but I intend to bob like the proverbial Cork!".