PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Loss October 1958
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2016, 08:48
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Years ago when the Valiants were grounded the squadron was issued with a Chipmunk so that the co-pilots could maintain flying practice. As a result of this we used to give air experience flights to the ground crew.

One day I was doing a batch of them and as one got out another was strapped in. I hadn't seen the latest arrival and off we went.

He was quite enthusiastic especially when I did some aerobatics. I then asked him if wanted to see what a spin was like and he was more then keen. We entered at about 4,000ft and after a couple of turns I stated the recovery.

It refused, point blank. I concentrated on the recovery position on the controls and then went into full pro-spin to confirm it and then back to spin correction. After another few turns it grudgingly recovered.

I was now down to 800ft.

I was a bit shaken and returned immediately to Honington with the blissfully ignorant behind me imploring for more. It was due for a shut down and when he got out I realised that he was the biggest, fattest, beer swiller we had on the squadron so God knows where the C of G was.

It's a thought, but I cannot remember ever being told about any weight limits in the rear seat.