PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malta, Operation Bowery, May 9, 1942
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 23:20
FTM127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L. Joseph Morsheimer also delivered a Spit to Malta on 3 June 1942 off Eagle

Originally Posted by Chefbob
My father was Robert MacDermid, 616 Squadron, and he flew off he Eagle on 3Jun. He always said that the planes were assembled encounters, and that some had wooden props. The briefing officer said that "it was so easy that his wife could do it!" One pilot offered to give up his plane. They flew into Takali, that's all I know.
Our Dad's must have known each other. Dad was held over from Operation Bowery (611 Squadron) in Gib. Perhaps to fill in if there was a pilot shortage? On June 3, he flew BR 315 landing Halfar. That is neat!

GREAT NEWS: The painting I commissioned from Jim Laurier, "TO MALTA FOR FREEDOM",will be included in Jim's new book, FIGHTER, to be released on Amazon world wide 11/1/16. You can find out about the painting or the book by searching on To Malta For Freedom or Fighter and Jim Laurier. I do not benefit in ant way from the sales of either, but I am terribly proud of both because they tell a part of Dad's story.

DISAPPOINTING NEWS:

My contact with the Malta Museum went bust in a very strange way that I do not comprehend. After a promising introduction and exchange with the Director, I decided to offer the original 37x60 oil painting as a gift to the museum provided a display could be put together honoring the pilots and sailors who delivered the planes at Malta' s greatest hour of need. I would have traveled there from the US to present the painting. They never replied or answered additional emails. TO MALTA FOR FREEDOM is an original artwork of the fly off from Eagle and Wasp on May 9, 1942. Jim Laurier is one of the foremost artists in this genre. Completely confused by Malta Museum politics and issues. Very strange to me. This painting cost a bundle. Any thoughts?